On March 30,1689 Guru Sahib laid the foundation of a new town and named it Anandpur Sahib. To Defend Anandpur from external threats, Guru Gobind Singh Ji constructed five forts around the town and joined them with earthworks and underground tunnels.
The construction began in 1689 and took over ten years to complete. It was here that Guru Gobind Singh baptised the first five Sikhs called the Panj Piares, the five beloved ones in 1699. The Panj Piare had offered him their heads to uphold Dharma, thus creating the nucleus of the Khalsa.
Chak Nanki and Anandpur Sahib as well as some adjoining villages form the present city of Anandpur Sahib.
Sri Anandpur Sahib has become a become tourist attraction for it’s scenic views and historic importance.